My top favourite female music artists. This has been something I have always wanted to write about but I never got around to do it. As much as I would like to include the all time greats and Divas of their own age like Aretha Franklin, Tina Turner, Whitney Houston , Donna Summer, Celine Dion, Cher, Janet Jackson in my case it wouldn't be right. I have enjoyed their music, but the ones who absolutely delighted me with their Diva persona are:
1. Madonna : She didn't even need a last name to get her to the top. Other than getting 300 million records sold, the image she created for herself in every video was not like anything before. She reinvented herself each time. The sound of Madonna didn't remain constant, she experimented, from "Material Girl" to "Like a Prayer". From "Frozen" to "Hung up". It was always something new, strong and confident.
Without talking further, I will just quote Sue Sylvester's Voice over from Glee :
SUE: (voice-over) “Madonna." Simply saying the word aloud makes me feel powerful. Even in voice-over. How I have worshiped her ever since I was a little girl. Sorry, Angie Jolie, Catherine the Great. Madonna is the most powerful woman to ever walk the face of the Earth.
2. Christina Aguilera : Her voice range is enough to make her the Diva that she is. If you only remember her from Genie in the Bottle song, then you got it all wrong. She had a full powerhouse inside that tiny little girl who was in that song. The maturity she showed in "Beautiful", "Fighter" was incredible. But I like the bad side of Christina too in "Dirty" and of course, she did blow everyone away with her hair and her singing in "Lady Marmalade". Even if she just does sing for a few seconds like in "Moves like Jagger", she is what she is. Brilliant.
3. Amy Lee : If there were angels and they could sing, it would sound like Amy Lee. But Amy Lee can rock so hard, that the angel would be so terribly lost. If she is playing her softer side or if she is coming strong, she is all soul. From "Bring me to Life" to "My Immortal". She is the life of Evanescence. I have never heard a rock female singer to have that much power and control. She cannot be touched. There might never be another female rock artist like her. I can't even remember how many time I have listened to "Going Under" and "Tourniquet".
4. Gwen Stefani : Gwen and No Doubt , oh how I liked her! No one rocked the blonde hair and red lipstick better than her. It didn't matter if she was in a flimsy top and a pant, in pink, blue , orange any hair, or dressed up stunning, she was just fun and music on stage. During the Tragic Kingdom days Gwen singing "Don't Speak" and later "Hella Good" still brings back such great memories. She did make her solo career interesting too with her ever more fun songs and videos. But she will always be a "No Doubt" girl to me.
5. Pink : She represent crazy freedom to me. She didn't even need any part of her own name to make it big. She is everything that the Pink colour doesn't represent yet she is Pink. I like how 'to the point' her songs are. I still love her song "Most Girls" and every song in the album "M!ssundaztood" hit it home in its own way. She doesn't think twice about putting the crazy anger of her life into a song and turn it into something stupidly fun. I also like her "I don't care what the world thinks" attitude :) . But Hats off to her dancing in her new song "Try" . This side of Pink I didn't know before.
6. Beyonce : When Beyonce walks in you know a Diva has arrived! It was a power house of empowerment with Destiny's child. It started around the time of "Say my name", then if it was "Bills" or "Independent Women", "Survivor" or "Emotion" Destiny's child was all about don't take any mess from the world. But they could sing though, if you did listen. :) Have you listened to their twist to amazing grace? But then Destiny's child unleashed Beyonce. Could you stop her from there? Let it be "Crazy in Love" or "Naughty Girl", she was a "Diva" here to "Run the world". Also if I didn't include her in the list, someone at home wouldn't have let me see another daylight ;).
7. Dido : By putting her in a list with the women above, they might try and eat her up. But Dido is "No Angel". She wrote the most wonderful songs. She has such a unique voice and sound, she was a Diva of her own kind! I treasured her "No Angel" and "List for Rent" tape. Eminem might have introduced her, but her songs very golden on their own. "Thank you", "Hunter" , "Sand in my shoes", "Who makes you feel" were just a few of her bests!
My honorary mentions should go to Alanis Morisette, Women from TLC, Kylie Minogue, Alicia Keys. They rocked as much too! And Lady Gaga, still needs to hold her own for a few long years.
So if you are feeling down girls, just put a song by any of these women and they will turn your day around for sure.